TAG Smart Energy drives the Smart Energy Economy and job growth in Georgia, progressing enabling Smart Energy technologies and embracing innovative companies/organizations that focus on Smart Energy. This mission is fulfilled through educating our audience and community on SE, develop initiatives to drive technology adoption across Georgia and forming strategic collaborations to accelerate growth.
We will realize this mission through the following six points of vision:
- We will expand our circle of influence through Membership additions to TAG and TAG Smart Communities & Sustainability
- We will remain focused on enabling Technologies by embracing innovation companies and organizations focused on Smart Communities & Sustainability
- We will support relevant Sponsors to enhance and lead in our journey
- We will maintain consistent Communications to create awareness and inspiration around our mission
- We will form strategic Collaborations to add value through adding clusters, publications and technical briefings on Smart Community technologies
- We will Educate our audience and community on ways Smart Communities & Sustainability will significantly impact Jobs and Economic Growth in and through GA
The TAG Smart Communities and Sustainability society will hold meetings every other month discussing their mission, with key speakers, presentations, and panelists. Please continue to check this page for updates.
What is smart energy?
The term “Smart Energy” refers to a modernization of the nation’s electricity, water, and natural gas energy systems to monitor, protect, and automatically optimize the operation of interconnected elements. Smart Energy encompasses the optimization of central and distributed energy generation, renewable energy sources, energy storage, the energy transmission network, distribution systems, industrial users, building automation systems, energy storage installations, end-use consumers and their personal and household devices. Smart Energy is characterized by a two-way flow of information to create an automated, widely distributed energy delivery network. It incorporates the benefits of distributed computing and communications to deliver real-time information and enable the near instantaneous balance of energy supply and demand at the device level.
Why smart energy?
Smart Energy programs will modernize utility technology and evolve the electricity, water, and natural gas delivery business models, which served the USA well through the 20th Century, to meet new 21st Century challenges. Like an energy internet, Smart Energy will support economic growth and market-driven improvements in the utility market just as technology and new business models revolutionized the telecommunications marketplace in the 1980s and 1990s. The US Federal Government and many State governments support Smart Energy programs (e.g., the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA), Title XIII – Smart Grid, Sec. 1301-1308). Smart Energy technology enables consumers to manage their energy use better and helps utilities better manage the assets that produce and deliver electricity, water, and natural gas. Smart Energy will result in cleaner, more efficient and more reliable electricity, natural gas, and water for consumers.
What are the benefits?
- Increased power reliability and enhanced power quality.
- Improved physical and cyber-security of electric supply.
- Increased energy efficiency.
- Reduced greenhouse gas emissions.
- Expanded consumer options.
- Reduced utility operational costs over time.
New… Now… Next…
Smart Communities & Sustainability events
Smart Communities & Sustainability Society Board
Recent Smart Communities & Sustainablility News
Georgia Tech to Launch Sustainability-Focused Technology Initiative at the Advanced Technology Development Center
|Norfolk Southern commits $750,000 to the Institute to support development of sustainability technology entrepreneurs and startups in Georgia|
ATDC Congratulates 15 Portfolio Companies Selected for Venture Atlanta 2022
Four ATDC companies will present as Early-Stage Venture attendees and one will present as a Growth-Stage Venture.
Celebrating 15 Years of Connecting Founders and Funders, Venture Atlanta Moves FORWARD With Its 2022 Lineup of Most Innovative Tech Companies
Southeast’s leading VC conference announces 85 presenting/showcase companies and 90+ event sponsors.